I love chocolate pudding. I love any pudding actually. But more than that, I love eating healthy food. When I look at the ingredients in Jello brand chocolate pudding I am appalled: water, modified corn starch, malitiol, cocoa, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salt, calcium phosphate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, sodium alginate, sucralose, artificial color, acesulfame potassium. YUCK! I may as well feed my family a can of brown paint.
Chocolate Pudding That’s Good For You!
Let’s try something different, but equally yummy. This chocolate pudding actually puts good things into your body rather than poisoning it. The only ingredients are Teff Flour, Organic Cocoa Powder, Raw Local Honey, Vanilla, Milk, and a smidge of Himalayan salt. Each one of those ingredients actually provide healthy nutrients your body needs, Use any kind of milk you want and you’ve got a winning treat for your family. By not heating the raw honey you are giving your body some powerful probiotics and enzymes. You can’t get that with Jello.
Cook it like porridge
When My daughter was a baby I used to make her oatmeal pudding. I would put the oatmeal in a blender until it was basically oat flour. Then I would cook it with milk, vanilla, and an egg. She totally loved it and I felt so good feeding it to her. This recipe is very similar in that it is simply a porridge made with grain flour and milk. You can add an egg while it is cooking, but I felt it would be simpler to leave it out. Teff is such a fantastic grain to use with chocolate because it already has a dark, nutty taste to it. Chocolate pudding is the perfect recipe for Teff, and since you already have some in your cupboard if you made my Energy Balls, then there is nothing stopping you!
To make this pudding all you need to do is put everything but the honey into a saucepan and bring it to a boil while stirring with a whisk. Then Cool it down and add the raw honey to keep all the beneficial raw honey goodness intact. Refrigerate, add your yummies like toasted coconut and pistachios, and serve.
Chocolate Pudding with Raw Honey and Teff
- sauce pan
- 1/2 c teff flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt any salt works
- 3 c milk any kind
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c raw honey
- Add salt, cocoa powder, and teff flour in a sauce pan and stir to combine.
- Add the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring with a whisk until it begins to boil.
- Immediately turn off the burner and keep stirring for another minute.
- Place a lid on the pan and allow it to cool to room temperature or slightly warmer.
- Once pudding is cooled, add the honey and whisk till smooth.
- Pour into serving bowls or an airtight container and refrigerate several hours.
- Serve with toasted coconut, nuts, or anything else you like on chocolate pudding.